My Project: Organizing Thread

After a busy evening on Friday of crafting and project making, I spent an hour or so on Saturday giving my closet some love. I hadn't tidied her up in a while, except for the few times I quickly stored stuff away when I knew people were coming over and the potential for Kevin to share his accomplishment for his wifey would increase.  While this may not seem significant (and maybe it isn't), I had a revelation while organizing. I'm obsessed with Roy G. Biv, and I realize that I have since first grade. You know...ROY G BIV...the order of the color spectrum, the order of a rainbow, the order of my box of Crayola crayons?

Yeah, that last one. I realized that I've been organizing my crayons in color order since they were first in my desk as my own. I remember being very particular about it too...when one came out, the other had to go back in its place. I am still like this today. My blouse/shirt section of my closet is organized into to major sections: career / Friday wear...and each of those is organized into ROYGBIV. Our preschooler's clothes are as well. So, when I organized my thread, making sure the thread was in the slit on the spools and the loose threads facing down (yes, I had to be that specific), I realized I already had them in order. So why? The older I get, the more difficulty I have with staying focused on a task and I think I was the same when I was younger (Pinterest doesn't help, haha, and Life Got in the Way [a Sister Hazel song]). It never affected me academically so I must have compensated. It could also be generated from being constantly on the go as a young adult and instead of growing weary, my body adapted and took on the doing-amillion-things-at-once skill (curse?). Anyway, I realized that I HAD to have my colors this way (it bothers me when they aren't...) because this was how my mind worked. It was a way of helping me to focus. My mind knew what I needed. Man, that's a scary thought.

So, I will continue my obsession with Roy G. Biv...so long as my husband doesn't get jealous ;)


By the way, to hold the smaller bobbins in place I hot glued gold rope string to the first set of holders, keeping them in place. I had to learn the hard way on that one...

No comments:

Post a Comment