Mountain Bike Review: Mount Dora Mountain Bike Park

Mount Dora Mountain Bike Park
Mount Dora, Florida



Sometimes I take it for granted what a great location I live in. I'm 90 minutes from each coast, an hour from the theme parks, and 15 minutes from a cool little mountain bike trail.  In Florida.This little trail, maintained by OMBA with permission from the City of Mount Dora, isn't something to drive distance to ride, but if you're in the area and want to get some miles, bring your bike along!

The trail is a relatively short loop, only a few miles, but recent improvements have given this trail a little bit of (much-needed) character.  The trail conditions are usually dry sand on top of medium hard packed land, with roots and pine straw throughout the trial. But, what this trail is known for are it's challenging, ok, killer climbs. The city is named MOUNT Dora after all.  Do a couple loops on this trail and you've had a great workout...and even more importantly, a great time.

There is now a parking area, park, and bathrooms located at the end of 9ths street with a primitive path to the trail.  Here you can find a basic skills area, of which I'm not much of a fan. My husband and I usually park at the end of 11th, next to the dog park or baseball field and head in the original entrance. No fancy facilities here except space to park.

Picture from John's Blog
When you enter the trail from the 11th Avenue (ok, either one actually),. you'll enter the yellow trail which is the mail loop.  All blue and the red Big Dipper are optional extensions that connect back to the trial. So, even beginning riders can feel comfortable knowing nothing will surprise them.  The Big Dipper area is the first difficult section you'll intersect, and it's guarded with an awesome qualifier.  The ^ style bridge is steep and rather narrow. Speed, power, pedaling on the bridge, and timing your pedals is essential if you don't want to bite the four foot fall. Complete this and you're greeted with a bigger animal: Big Dipper (pictured at right)...and I'll admit I've never tried her.It may not seem much in the picture, but the top of her is a blind roll and your bike must have good clearance. My husband's more-XC style bike won't make it without his sprocket eating the wood. Our friend's teenager got brave (silly?) and rode it with some friends and broke his wrist. It must be taken with caution...and I'm a daredevil sayin' this. If you have a 29er, I'd say you have a better shot at making this more comfortably.  Regardless, this roller is impressive to look at...and look down from. I've been thisclose to letting go of my brakes while I scout from the top, but not yet. I WILL ONE DAY.

Continuing on the path will take you over roots,  between narrow trees, and through some trial that lets you pick up some speed.  Tacoma Trial and Bridge will come up next to the right and are just a little more technical than the yellow. Then, get ready to suck wind because you're headed up the big hill. There's a bench a the top for a reason. Save yourself some gear because you're going to need it.  Once you reach the top, there is a secret local path off to the right that's been nicknamed "Powerlines."  This takes you off the property and leads you to the storm run off drain that runs parallel to the highway. Ever see those run off alleys on the interstate and dream of riding one? Here's your shot. Just don't say anything ;)  But, be sure to hoof it back up to the hill, because you don't want to miss the next section!

After you finish dying make it to the top of the hill, hit up Extra Crispy for the trail's newest feature, the wall berm. (PIC COMING SOON). Grab some speed coming down the hill (and they've thankfully covered the roots with dirt! YAY from a hard tail rider!!) and prepare to turn RIGHT, not left, to ride the wall berm. Just don't ride too high because the exit of the berm NARROWS quickly! I almost kept my high line too long and came close to flying into the trees...AWESOMENESS!!!

After a bit more riding, you'll come upon Little Dipper, which isn't so little anymore.  Little Dipper is a big 4' ride-in/drop-in/ride-out/fly-out/whatever-your-style...um...ditch. I prefer to get waaay back on my seat and roll in, but our friend drops right in.  Be careful on the exit...too much air and you'll fly right into the vines (that will save you...they have me), or you'll fly left, clip a tree, and bust your ass...like I have too.  Either way, you can get some good air...

For the way back, I highly recommend taking the yellow trial up so you don't have such a hard climb. Otheriwise, you're climbing a major hill straight up. Then, if your legs are forgiving enough, take the new red trail, Helter Skelter.  This trail is roughly a year old and is improving with age.  At first, we honestly hated it. It has steep climbs with a turn in the middle, is very technical, and at times rough. But, as I learn the trail, I find myself liking it more. I may not say that next time though, haha.  It has some sketchy lines...be prepared to grab that back disc. You are rewarded with a mega-fun downhill sweeping ride that almost makes the trail worth all the effort. Unfortunately, when you go down you must go up an even bigger hill. Last weekend was the first time I ever made it...it must have been the Snickers bar.

All in all, I like our trail. It's a great trail for squeezing in a quick ride or spending a lot of time if that's your preference.  Below are pictures of the map and of my family...enjoy!

http://omba.org/maps/OMBA-Mount_Dora_Trail_Map_02-09-2012.jpg

The Skills Area...before.

Dad and Son on their first Trail Work Day together

During the skills area build
Oh, Mt. Dora. I'll always respect for taking a piece of me in your parking lot....

Ready to ride!

2 comments:

  1. Nice review! Glad you enjoy the trail. Helter skelter is rather sketchy! And is currently closed due to rampid overgrowth. Hopefully soon it will up n running!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for this review and map. We live in Sorrento and have started riding the trail recently, and we really wanted a map. Plus, we want to try the advanced trails but aren't quite sure which ones we are ready to handle. I think today I'll give the Tacoma Trail and Bridge a shot!

    ReplyDelete